More info here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html
Here’s the world’s easiest creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese recipe. Three ingredients, about ten minutes of time, and a single pot are all you need.
WHY IT WORKS
– Cooking in a small volume of water concentrates the starch from the pasta, helping the cheese form a creamy emulsion.
– Some similar recipes call for cooking pasta in milk, which can scorch. Cooking in water and adding evaporated milk toward the end avoids this problem.
– Evaporated milk contains protein micelles, which help keep an emulsified sauce smooth and creamy.
6 ounces (170g) elbow macaroni
6 ounces (180ml) evaporated milk
6 ounces (170g) grated mild or medium cheddar cheese
1. Place macaroni in a medium saucepan or skillet and add just enough cold water to cover. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Continue to cook, stirring, until water has been almost completely absorbed and macaroni is just shy of al dente, about 6 minutes.
2. Immediately add evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Add cheese. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continuously, until cheese is melted and liquid has reduced to a creamy sauce, about 2 minutes longer. Season to taste with more salt and serve immediately.